Head of School Search
On Monday, October 16, 2017, the Lawrence School Board of Trustees announced that Douglas Hamilton will succeed Lou Salza as Lawrence School's next Head of School, effective July 1, 2018.
Search Committee Updates
- October 16, 2017: President of the Board Announces Douglas Hamilton as Lawrence's New Head of School
- September 5, 2017: Fall Update
- June 6, 2017: Summer Update and Next Steps
- March 7, 2017: Consultant Visit and Community Engagement
- February 14, 2017: National Search Firm Selected
- January 19, 2017: Head of School Search Committee Announced
- January 6, 2017: Announcement Letter from the President of the Board of Trustees
- January 6, 2017: Announcement Letter from the Head of School
- Who is leading the search process?
- Who is on the Search Committee?
- What is the role of the Board of Trustees in the search process?
- What is the scope of the search?
- Has a Search Partner Firm been selected?
- How will the Search Committee communicate with the Lawrence School Community?
- What opportunities will the school community have to be involved in the search process?
The Head of School Search Committee is leading the search process and will make recommendations to the school’s Board of Directors, which ultimately is responsible for appointing the Head of School. Jennifer Kaufman, a current parent and Board Member was appointed Chair of the Search Committee. Educators' Collaborative, a national consulting firm that specializes in working with independent schools, was engaged to assist with the search on Feb. 14. 2017.
- Jennifer Kaufman (Chair), Trustee, Parent
- Nathaniel E. Leonard, Board President, Alumni Parent
- Susan Karas, Past Board President, Alumni Parent
- Elaine Schulte, Trustee, Alumni Parent
- The Honorable Carla Moore, Past Trustee, Alumni Parent
- William F. Miller III, Trustee, Alumni Parent
- Jayne Eiben, Advancement Director, Alumni Parent
The Board supports the Search Committee and refers all inquiries related to the search to the Chair of the Search Committee. The Board will maintain complete confidentiality throughout the process. As the process draws to completion, the Board will review the recommendations of the Search Committee, formally resolve to pursue a candidate, bear responsibility for negotiating any terms of employment, and ultimately appoint the new Head of School.
The search for the new Head of School will be national in scope. Confidentiality is a critical component for our success. As such, the Search Committee will not comment on candidates participating (or not participating) in our search. Internal candidates will engage in the same process as external candidates.
The Head Search Committee is committed to a transparent and inclusive process in selecting our new Head of School. We will balance our goal of keeping the community informed about the search while respecting the confidentiality of the candidates. Updates will be provided on this page as well as through email.
There will be ample opportunity for members of the school community to become involved in the search process by meeting finalist candidates and providing feedback when they visit the school. Prior to that time, interactions with candidates will be limited to the Search Committee to protect the confidentiality of the candidates and thereby, help assure that Lawrence School is able to attract the strongest pool of applicants.
The Lawrence School Board of Trustees is currently seeking an individual of outstanding character, whose strategic educational and strategic fiscal management skills match the school’s culture and who will inspire and enable Lawrence School to achieve its vision for the future.